The White Palace in the Red Fort - Agra Fort : Video

The White Palace in the Red Fort / Agra Fort
My favorite Queen passed away at such a young age.

I built her Mausoleum of bright white marble and wanted it to look like a Heaven on earth.

The red fortress of Agra sits on the opposite bank of the Yamuna River, a tributary of the Ganges.

It was built in the 16th century.
I am the 5th Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan.

Agra fort was built by my grandfather, the 3rd Mughal Emperor Akbar.

The fortifications stretched over 2.5 kilometres and were impenetrable a symbol of the absolute power of the Mughal Empire.

The castle walls were made of blocks of red sandstone.

Agra Fort is also known as The Red Fort..

The red symbolized the might of the Mughal Empire.
I came to the throne 50 years after the fortress walls were built.

I used white marble for building and decoration inside the castle.

I listened to the appeals of my people and judged their cases in the room.

Beautifully decorated arches surround my marble throne.

I also built this mosque.

It was later known as The Pearl Mosque.

This is my bed chamber. It was also used as a living room.
The walls and ceiling were decorated in gold.

My many other wives lived in the residences surrounding this room.

It was a harem with a beautiful garden.
.
This mosque was made for my Queens.

It is known as The Gem Mosque.

The sheer white must have calmed and purified their minds.
However, the dream came to an end.

I was imprisoned in this tower.

My 3rd son took my throne by killing his brothers and confining me here.

Muhammam Burj or the Jasmine Tower was originally made for my favourite Queen.

I was held here from the age of 66 until my death 8 years later.

The only consolation was that I could see the Taj Mahal from this room.

I looked upon the mausoleum of my favourite wife everyday until I took my last breath.

My coffin was then laid to rest next to that of my beloved and favourite Queen.